Hudderfield 0 – 3 Cardiff

By Aidan Jones


Huddersfield Town have not been able to continue on the good form from last weekend, after being dealt a 3-0 defeat by Cardiff City at the John Smith’s Stadium on Wednesday night.

Danny Cowley’s side was well in control of the contest between the two sides for nearly half an hour in the first half, until the away side struck with their second shot of the match, through Josh Murphy.

Minutes later, giving Huddersfield no time to regroup, the visitors were two ahead, from a corner, Will Vaulks volleyed in from close range.

The hosts started off the better of the two sides and had a chance straight from the off.

Emilie Smith Rowe broke down the left handside before he switched play to the full-back Harry Toffollo who laid the ball back to Juninho Bacuna, who’s shot was blocked before Elias Katchunger struck the follow-up, just wide.

From that point the match calmed down and allowed either side to take control, and it was the hosts with the next chance.

Katchunga picked up a loose pass and attacked down the right hand side, before his deep cross found Bacuna who was waiting on the penalty spot but his effort was straight into the hands of Alex Smithies.

Bacuna could have given Town the lead two minutes after. Some good work by Toffolo allowed the midfielder to curl an effort towards Smithies’ goal but it was well saved by the former Terrier.

With the home side missing chances, despite having a lot of possession, it always left the door open for Cardiff to capitalise.

Neil Harris’ side registered their first shot on target after 25 minutes, which flew well over from Marlon Pack.

Minutes later, the Bluebirds took the lead. Against the run of play, Josh Murphy raced clear of his man, and beat the offside trap, before netting just his fifth goal this season, with Lössl stranded in the Town goal. 1-0.

From this, Town had a chance to immediately equalise, but Steve Mounié who has been a striker to rely since the turn of the year volleyed wide after good work by Toffolo.

As the game approached the final ten minutes of the first half, Cardiff doubled their lead, thanks to a volley from close range by Vaulks, after the Huddersfield defence failed to deal with the danger from the set-piece.

The scoreline should really have been 3-0 to the away side at half-time, as they managed to get a foothold on the game, which left Town chasing.

A counter attack lead by Albert Adomah on the far side lead to his switch of play being deflected to Lee Tomlin who only had the goalkeeper to beat but he somehow put his effort over the bar, under pressure.

The second half was a continuation of Town struggling to deal with attacking pressure from the visitors.

Despite starting the half with an effort from Emilie Smith Rowe which stung the hands of Smithies before the goalkeeper made a comfortable save.

The second half was short of action despite a third goal being added, but the away side definitely controlled the match at their own tempo, leaving Huddersifeld struggling.

The Bluebirds had a chance for their third of the night shortly after Town’s attempt on goal, but Pack’s shot deflected wide.

The away side did get that third goal though just shy of the 70th minute, as Callum Paterson made the most of a defensive mix up at the back leaving the forward to put the ball into an empty net at the back stick.

Town just could not create much more, and Cardiff will head back to South Wales with a deserved three points in the bag.

Huddersfield Town now sit in 20th place in the Sky Bet Championship, just five points above the drop zone, ahead of the trip to Derby County this weekend.

Huddersfield Town XI:  Lössl (GK), Toffolo, Hogg (King 57’), Bacuna, Katchunga (Willock 90’), Stearman, Simpson, Mounié (Campbell 57’), Schindler (C), Smith Rowe (Willock 75’), O’Brien.

Unused Subs: Coleman (GK), Chabolah, Willock, Pyke, Stanković.

Cardiff City XI:  Smithies (GK), Bennett, Morrison (C), Vaulks, Murphy (Hoilett 67’), Paterson (Ward 86’), Adomah (Bacuna 67’), Pack, Nelson, Tomlin, Richards.

Unused Subs: Etheridge (GK), Flint, Glatzel, Whyte.

Attendance: 20,238


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *