Wycombe ease into second round as Halifax woes continue

Halifax Town 0-4 Wycombe Wanderers

Gareth Ainsworth says he wants to go on a cup run this season, one the club’s players and fans can be proud of. Talk of Wycombe repeating their FA Cup semi-final appearance of 2000/01 are premature, ridiculously so in fact, but it won’t be for the want of trying as far as Ainsworth is concerned.
Making just one change from last week’s 2-0 win at Mansfield Town, the visitors started as strong favourites over their non-league opponents. The opening exchanges were even as The Shaymen gave as good as they got, yet this wouldn’t last for long.
Siao Jombati’s provided considerable threat down the right for the visitors early on and the former Sporting Lisbon youngster’s persistence soon paid off.
The 28-year-old’s cross was flicked on by Luke O’Nien which then found its way to Garry Thompson who converted from close range to silence the home support.
Thompson could well have doubled his tally for the afternoon minutes later as the Town defence were caught in possession – Thompson’s shot inches wide of the bottom right corner.
The former Morecambe and Bradford City striker was denied by the outstretched arm of Russell Griffiths in the Halifax goal shortly after the break along with Sam Wood who attempted to skip round Griffiths.
The next Chairboys attack saw Thompson’s search for a brace intensify – this time denied only by the post. At this stage it was clear Halifax needed to up their game immediately.
After failing to heed Wycombe’s warnings, the visitors extended their lead on 65 minutes through Jombati who struck a sublime volley from outside the penalty area following a neat one-two with O’Nien to the delight of the 249 away supporters.
Halifax kept on pushing in search of a goal but it was Wycombe who struck again to seal a place in the second round through Max Kretzschmar who slotted past a helpless Griffiths from 12 yards. The National League side’s defence left much to be desired.
A fourth followed in injury time as a long ball forward by Wood found substitute Aaron Amadi-Holloway who converted comfortably. It was a day to forget for the central defensive pair of Keil O’Brien and Nathaniel Brown.
Much of Town’s biggest home gate of the season had already departed beforehand, however the remaining home fans on the terrace turned their attention to the National League at full time with a chorus of ‘we are staying up’. Not with defensive displays like that they won’t.


The FA Cup 2nd round draw will take place on Monday 9 November at 7pm live on BBC2.

Related Post

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>